Running with the Pack 67: Vibrams, “Loving” Running, Vegas, and Triathlon Lust

I found this on YouTube and thought it was appropriate considering that Stevie and I just discussed our ideas about New Years Resolutions during RWTP #63. The five principles that he outlines for keeping a New Year’s Resolution are the ones that I have heard people apply to their decision to run their first marathon. Have a look:

This is the official record (and recording) of my first ice bath. The short version: it was freaking cold and ached a lot, nurse
but I can see why they would be useful.

but I can see why they would be useful.

but I can see why they would be useful.
Stevie and I talk with Jim, Hepatitis
a listener who has just completed the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge in Walt Disney World. We are planning to go there in 2011 to participate in the Marathon weekend: Stevie is doing the 5K and Half-Marathon. Jim and I will be doing the Half-Marathon and Full-Marathon. We also talk a bit more about ice baths, ed
the possibility of hot beverages in a camelback, and advice for a mom of two who is training for a half marathon.

but I can see why they would be useful.

but I can see why they would be useful.
Stevie and I talk with Jim, Hepatitis
This week, diagnosis we talk about Stevie’s trip to see Chris McDougal speak about the book Born to Run and barefoot running, pharm my trip to Austin, running the race before the race (and why not to do it), and my top-10 tips for your first marathon.

After doing this podcast, Stevie and I went to a local retail store and bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers (which are like gloves for your feet) and went to a track to give them a try. I lasted about a mile before my calves started to cramp up. Stevie made it to around the 3 mile mark. My calves are pretty sore today, but I’d like to keep using them to build them up. I thought I had started to run on my forefoot before, but with the Vibrams, I ran COMPLETELY differently than normal. Now I understand the sound that Brandon (brandonsmarathon.com) talks about when he says that he can identify a forefoot runner by the sound their footfalls make.

but I can see why they would be useful.

but I can see why they would be useful.
Stevie and I talk with Jim, Hepatitis

Stevie and I talk about our first experience with our Vibram Five Fingers, population health barefoot running, Stevie’s attempt to work out in Vegas, my growing lust to do a triathlon, and the admission that we don’t really “love” running.

This entry was posted in inspirational stories, podcasting, running, triathlon and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Running with the Pack 67: Vibrams, “Loving” Running, Vegas, and Triathlon Lust

1. RunnerJorie says:

Great show. Was a little surprised that you don't love running. There are days I love it and days I don't but love the after run feeling.

I'm glad Stevie is not having pain running in the Vibrams and that both of you are having fun with them. Someday I will probably try them but I am too excited about getting Newtons right now.

I decided I will run my 1st marathon this fall and have been debating between the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon and the Chicago Marathon. I would like your thoughts on running a smaller marathon (3000 people) vs a larger marathon (30,000 people) – especially for your 1st marathon.

• Allan Gyorke says:

Hey Jorie. I ran the 2007, 2008, and 2009 Philadelphia Marathons. It typically has about 16,000 runners between the marathon and half-marathon, which start at the same time, so I guess that would be closer to the "larger marathon" category.

A larger marathon will have a better race expo the day before and is more likely to have on-course amenities like music along the course, runner tracking systems, and lots of cheering fans (there is a high degree of variability though). They also tend to be more expensive and it can be difficult to find people at the start and finish lines. In fact, last year Andrew didn't see me finish the race because so many people were finishing around the same time and he couldn't get next to the finish line.

I have to say though – I was nearly in tears when I started my first marathon and was running along with that many people. It's an unforgettable experience. Plus when you meet another runner who has run the same race, it's an instant bonding experience: "Hey, I ran Chicago that year that it got really hot too…how did you do?" or "Yeah, I ran Disney when it was in the 20's that year, what a shock!"

So I'm hooked on the feel of the big marathon and would like to run Chicago, Disney, New York, London, Paris, and hopefully Boston some day. Andrew and I love to travel anyway, so trips to big cities are fun for him, even though he isn't a runner.

• RunnerJorie says:

Thank you Allan for your comment. I have been asking everyone and have received some great replies for both. I have made my decision and registered this morning. I will be running the Chicago marathon!!!! I am so excited and also feel like I am going to be sick.

2. brandontenor says:

I totally laughed out loud when I heard Allan say, "Luuuuuuving".HAA!!!

One thing about flat bike courses that differs from flat run courses. While it may sound nice and easy, what it actually translates to is you having to pedal THE ENTIRE TIME. there is no coasting when there are no downhills. So, be careful what you wish for and maybe instead, look for something that is a little more rolling, or something like a big climb with a stretched out long descent.

Re: getting your toes in the VFF's, what a pain in the ASS that can be!! Glad I'm not alone!

I do need a publicist! Do you know anyone?

Loving something like that is tricky. I love getting outside and moving. It appeals to my ADD a lot in that I am always seeing something new. I think, more than running, its the love of the feeling you get from simply pushing your body. I wonder if somebody who "luuuuvs" running and who is an elite would find that they "luuuuuv" cycling if they worked it? Hmm……

Due to what I spoke to Allan about last night, I think its ironic that you guys are talking about how much people try and what "speed" really is.

Injinjis actually make getting your feet into VFF's a lot easier. At least for me.

FYI, Jorie DID sign up for Chicago!! YAY JORIE!!

I think you should BOTH come do the Fifth Avenue Mile on September 26! We'll see how fast you can do a mile. I'm thinking 7:30 for Stevie and 5:30 for Allan!

3. Allan Gyorke says:

Hey B. Good point about the bike course, but there are few places in Pennsylvania that are truly flat. I've been to the lake that I was talking about and it is surrounded by small hills, so I can't imagine that it's really flat, just flat-ish.

I don't know any publicists, but I watch Entourage from time to time and there is a publicist on that show – does that count? Okay, I didn't think so. Craig's list? Maybe there are people who want to do publicity as a hobby? I'm grasping at straws here.

I ran a couple of quick miles today. One in my Nike Free's that I finished in 6:47 and one in my Vibrams that I finished in 6:37. These weren't at maximum effort – maybe 90% effort since I knew that I had further to go. After doing the second mile in the VFF's, I tried running a slower mile in them and got about 75% of the way done before my right calf cramped up again. This is progress though. Last time, I couldn't do a mile without that feeling. I think I'll be able to do 4-5 miles in them in another few weeks. No reason to rush it.

4. I just found your podcast this week and I am really enjoying listening to you two. I have been a mid-pack runner for years now so it is nice to hear you say something and think yeah I know what they mean! I have run Disney twice and Rock n Roll San Diego once. I have stuck with Half's for a few years just because of the amount of time you have to give to Marathon long runs. I am very interested in Vibrams so thanks for talking about them and I have two questions for you if you don't mind:

1. I am a running geek (have used Garmen GPS for awhile and just switched to Polar foot pod) and I am wondering if you have the Vibrams with the strap, if so do you think a foot pod would work on them?

2. I noticed a few styles of them on the REI site, what style did you guys go with?

Thanks and keep the podcasts going!

Scott

• stevier says:

Hey Scott,

I actually use my Nike+iPod sensor on the strap of my Vibrams, and it seems to work just fine. I need to reattach it every time I put them on, but that aside, I've not had any problems with it. I got the Sprint (I think–don't have the shoes w/ me, but in looking at their site, I those look like what I have). You can see the image of Allan's and my shoes at http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevier/4297329793/ I have the Nike+iPod pouch attached to mine in the photo.

Hope that helps, and thanks for commenting! 🙂

5. Crurbshus says:

#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z] {ナイキシューズ|シューズナイキ|nike シューズ} #random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z] {ナイキスニーカー|スニーカーナイキ|スニーカー nike|nike スニーカー} #random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z] {ナイキランニング|nike ランニング|ナイキ} #random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z] {free nike|nike free|ナイキ フリー} #random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z] {free nike|nike free|nike} #random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z] {ナイキスニーカー|スニーカーナイキ|ナイキ} #random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z] {スニーカー nike|nike スニーカー|nike} #random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z] {nike スニーカー|スニーカー nike|ナイキシューズ] #random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z] <a href="http:/ /http://nike-nike-n.webnode.jp/” / rel=”nofollow”>{スニーカーナイキ|ナイキスニーカー|シューズナイキ} #random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]#random.Z]#random.z]#random.z]

6. Crurbshus says: